Monday, March 23, 2009

More New Projects

Yes, I seem to have developed a slight case of startitis! None of last week's projects are close to being done, but I have started another 3 projects.

One of my patrons who knits and crochets has been making hats this winter in an effort to teach herself Fair Isle knitting. She has brought in at least 3 of her hats to show me lately, and of course this has lit a fire under me to try my own hand again at adding some color to my knitting. I decided that for my first attempt, I would make a plain vanilla solid color hat and just add a band of Fair Isle to the middle to jazz things up. Here's where I am so far:
I am using a basic hat pattern from Ann Budd's book The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns and a motif from Sue Pearce's The Knitting Stitch & Motif Directory. I really have to concentrate on the colorwork, and I haven't done everything correctly (which is why I'm not putting up a picture of the inside of the hat). But I am happy with how it is coming along.

Then, on Saturday, we had a crochet program at my library. Dee has a great post up about the program, complete with pictures. We had a lovely day teaching people about crochet. While we were there, one of my sock students, Nancy, decided to start her sock again. Apparently, I am really open to the power of suggestion, because when I got home after the program I just had to start the second sock of my pair. Here is the start of the second one:

Finally, yesterday, I decided to start another crocheted scarf, which I will hopefully get finished and donate to my crochet guild to sell on April 2nd. The yarn was staring me in the face, so I went on Ravelry and found a suitable pattern on Bernat's website. (The pattern is free, but you need to sign up for a membership to get it.)
Unfortunately, the color doesn't show up very well in the photo. The color is a lovely blend of blue, yellow, and green, which makes me think of the ocean. So far, this is growing very quickly, and it will get another 3 skeins out of the stash. I am going to modify the pattern slightly. I am going to work half the scarf and then go back to the starting edge and work the second half of the scarf down from there, so that both ends of the scarf match. I'll see how that works.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

I too have started more projects while leaving others that need to be completed. Mostly so I have something small and easy to work on while at the hospital.

Love the hat.

Thanks for the good wishes,
Sandy

Sandy said...

Thank you so much for all your sweet support over these past difficult months, it is truly appreciated. Still many things to do, but we must move forward. Daddy's coming to dinner tonight. Trying to keep tabs on him.

Hugs
Sandy

Milly said...

I tried color work once. It did not go well, my tension was off. I will have to try it again.

Knitika said...

Hi Priscilla,

Thanks so much for coming by my blog and leaving me a book recommendation. I got behind on reading blogs, too, and I know at some point I cleared my reader because I was so backed up, so I don't recall seeing this post. Isn't the Handy book of patterns handy? I am very pleased I added that to my home collection. I'd love to see the results of your fair isle hat. It looks very cute in progress.

St. Peter Port is a meaningless term for me, and I'm delighted with your book recommendation. Reading a book that matches thematically to the socks I'm knitting? Pure awesome! I looked it up, and there are 50 holds on it at my city library, 149 holds at my county library, and even 17 holds on the 2 eAudiobook versions. So I've placed a few holds, but also I will check with our literature librarian to see if we can order it for our popular reading collection here at the academic library. If that works out, I'll have my hands on it in a week. :)

Knitika said...

Oh, and I have to add. When I looked up the The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on the county library OPAC, the darned thing asked me:

Did you mean Gurney Literacy Andy Porto Pele Pei ?

I laughed so hard.

Sandy said...

Trying to catch up a bit from the comments in my travel blog. Chipping away here and there. How are you doing with your projects? I've not done much lately, not since Mom died. Gotta get in gear again.

Has the weather gotten any better in your neck of the woods? We sat out last night and it was lovely. Today, closed the windows and put on a sweatshirt.......so you know how it is. Sl o w l y changing.

Sandy

Sandy said...

Trying to visit all the Bridge team members to say...hey come take a look and see how we're doing/did. Weather here's been cold and wet several days; but the folks under the bridge are getting some relief, as we are having some nice spring days too.

Sandy
http://homelessbridge.blotspot.com/

Criquette said...

What a lovely hat and scarf! I love colors that remind me of the ocean, too. And thanks for visiting my blog!