Thursday, June 01, 2006

A "Novel" Idea for Crocheters

I have been browsing in my library's collection to find novels that use knitting and crocheting in their plots. My thought was that as I get some of these books read, I would post reviews of them on the blog. After a while, though, it occurred to me that I was only finding plots involving knitting. There didn't seem to be any novels about crocheters. I work in a fairly good sized library, but of course we don't have every book ever published. So I decided to test my theory by looking at Library of Congress subject headings and the Library of Congress catalog.

What I found confirmed my suspicions. There are several children's and adult novels cataloged under the subject heading "Knitting--fiction". There is exactly 1 children's book cataloged under the heading "Crocheting--fiction". Keep in mind, however, that catalogers have only been assigning subject headings to fiction books for the past few years. If a "crocheting novel" had been published before that, it would be very difficult to find at this point.

I also noticed another interesting thing. While there are 3 books cataloged under the subject heading "Knitting--philosophy", the subject heading "Crocheting--philosophy" doesn't even exist yet. I can't help but wonder if these two publishing gaps are related. Perhaps a book about the philosophy of crochet would give would be crochet novelists something more to work with.

Finally, the blog over at Crochetme.com had an interesting post recently about knitting and crocheting books, and some of the comments discuss "Knit Lit" fiction and the lack of crocheting novels as well. Why this gap exists isn't a question that will be resolved any time soon, but isn't it nice to know that there is a publishing niche here just waiting to be filled?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a published story that has crochet in it. The heroine in the Christian romance novel is a crochet designer. The book is Angels for Christmas and my story is Angel on the Doorstep. The hero and heroine are delivering crocheted angels to church personnel anonymously. Angel pattern included. You can find more info at my web site sandrapetit dot com.